Grounding: connecting with the Earth both physically and spiritually
- Physically through specific yoga poses or body postures that create a connection with the ground such as sitting on the floor with your back against a wall or mountain pose
- Spiritually through tapping into the grounding energy of the Earth (and the universe) through intention or meditation
Earthing: direct contact with the Earth’s surface through standing/walking barefoot or sitting/laying on the ground. There are also conductive systems such as bedsheets and floor mats that facilitate the transfer of energy from the Earth into the body
These words are often used interchangeably.
However, they have slightly different definitions.
What is the difference between grounding and earthing?
- Physical grounding occurs when you are planted in a firm, stable position on the ground
- Spiritual grounding is visualizing and feeling your connection with the Earth
- Earthing is direct skin contact with the Earth or the use of a conductive system to receive the same benefits
What are the benefits of grounding?
Grounding helps emotional stability by calming the mind. It helps one to deal with traumatic or stressful situations and crises.
What are the benefits of earthing?
Earthing restores and stabilizes the bioelectrical circuitry that governs our physiology and organs, recharges and thins our blood, enhances immune function while decreasing inflammation and pain.
Earthing has existed as long as humanity has. Humans used to walk barefoot and live in homes with earthen floors. The disconnection from the Earth and its benefits were only discovered when we went without them through shoes, sidewalks, streets, and flooring.
- Googling “grounding meditation” or “grounding yoga sequence” are great, free ways to discover the benefits of grounding for yourself
- To learn more about the science of earthing, watch this free documentary: The Earthing Movie
- You can earth for free by making skin contact with the Earth or purchase earthing products that enable you to get the benefits inside while you work or sleep